Wednesday, March 4, 2009

McDonagh's Pub


Location: Keyport, NJ

Genre: Irish Pub & Bistro

In the 4 years since its opening in 2005, McDonagh's Pub has become a major landmark and hangout of Keyport, NJ. The interior has the feel of a classic Irish pub/tavern, with a fully loaded bar on one side, and a cozy restaurant on the other. There is also an open terrace on the side for the summer months. Before I was 21, I loved going there for the food. Since my birthday, I have been able to make it for the Happy Hour Special (4-7pm; 1.75 Domestic Drafts, 2.00 Domestic Bottles, 3.00 Mixed Drinks) on weekdays and look out of the daily drink specials for various drinks, including imported beers. My friends and family meet here for drinks after work and casual dinners on weekends.

The classic McDonagh's chips are delicious house-sliced potato chips that make great appetizers. All of the appetizers are great for that matter. The loaded chips and buffalo wings are favorites of my friends, and I really like the teriyaki chicken bites! After you have filled up on snacks, it's time for dinner. Their choices of signature sandwiches and traditional Irish fare are great and keep you coming back to try everything. My favorite sandwich is the Pub Po Boy (popcorn shrimp and spicy mayonnaise on a seeded bun with sweet potato fries on the side).

I also recommend having a catered event there. They have many choices for someone who wants to plan something for a graduation, birthday, or anniversary. You can have a cocktail party with appetizers, a formal dinner, or a little of both with open bar for your guests. I celebrated my 21st Birthday there, and it is going to be a memorable event for my friends and myself for quite a while!

All in all, McDonagh's is just what the doctor ordered. There aren't too many hotspots in the Keyport/Amboy area, and I feel it is going to become a classic stop for locals and vistors alike. In fact, it already is!

6 comments:

  1. They have a great tapped beer menu and it change pretty often as well. What do you know about the place around the corner? Drew's Bayside Bistro I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I have not been there, but I can check it out.

    You're right, McDonagh's has a great tapped beer menu, and my friends are big fans of the beer samplers served by the 1/2 pint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is Espresso Joe's. I've gone past but never popped in. Is it worth a try? What do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an espresso junkie, and theirs is very fresh! I recommend a Double Americano with a flavor added. Americano's are like home-made coffees, but very smooth. I'm personally a fan of the English Toffee flavor.

    Also, the sandwiches are great. The egg sandwiches are made to order (not with the mystery egg commonly served in cafes and fast food joints).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to check it out this week end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how it goes! The guys there are really nice and accommodating.

    ReplyDelete