Thursday, February 19, 2009

Old Man Rafferty's



Location: New Brunswick, Hillsborough, Asbury Park

Genre: American Classic/Gourmet Fusion

What a way to satisfy every culinary hankering! Old Man Rafferty's has it all; from the extensive menu, delectable dessert case, and gourmet espresso bar, this place delivers! I've only been there a handful of times, but that fact that I've returned twice in the last couple of months, despite the fact that it's about 35 minutes from my neighborhood, speaks volumes in its favor.

From the outside, the New Brunswick location appears to be too rich for your blood amidst an urban downtown with brick-face storefronts alongside hip clubs and crowded breweries. It's interior matches the cool, trendy feel of the downtown New Brunswick nightlife. It is a logical starting point for college students and walking visitors on their way to clubs and bars afterward. Parking can be an issue (especially on weekends) so be prepared, or go for lunch.

I had a "Juicy Burger" which met all of my expectations. I still tell my friends about my delicious Juicy Burger that I had two months ago! You can tailor the burger to your taste from the way it's cooked to the cheese to the additions. I had a Juicy Burger medium-well with jack cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and ketchup. Pretty traditional, yet unforgettable! It was a filling meal, but I saved room for dessert because I passed the dessert case on my way to our table and knew I had to have a slice of cake!

The dessert case, as you can see above, I chock full of unique pastries and cakes that you won't find anywhere else. The waiter told us their selections are continually updated and the cakes are made fresh on the premises. All of the cakes are layered with great textures and are almost candy-like. My slice (ode to Hershey's, but cannot recall the name) was adorned with chocolate, peanut butter, snickers, oreo, and graham cracker crust. It was dense, yet soft and full of flavor.

If you are worried about price, Old Man Rafferty's is no more expensive than your typical high end chain (Cheesecake Factory, Houlihan's) but it has a lot of original qualities that urge me to recommend it as a must for New Jerseyans. While I had a great experience with little parking trouble for lunch time, I recommend going on a Friday or Saturday night, and following it up with a visit to the Harvest Moon Brewery or possibly Glo up the street. It's great to feel the vibes and culture of this college town and to take in the nightlife that has made New Brunswick an increasingly popular local destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment