Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rita's Italian Ices


Location: Matawan, Freehold, Manalapan, Old Bridge, etc.

Genre: Fruit Ices & Custard

Hours: Vary

The first day of spring meant ices for all in Central Jersey last month. I was sure to commemorate the day with my free "Georgia Peach" ice on my lunch break at work (a.k.a. coffeehouse). Rita's Ices is a local staple during those hot summer months, and is a tasty alternative to ice cream or coffee beverages.

I remember growing up with the ever-popular "Gelati" (layered custard and ice flavors of your choice) as the specialty of Rita's. Now they have become even more unique with cream ice flavors such as Cookies 'n Cream and Mint Chocolate Chip. I recommend the Gelati with Chocolate custard and Mint Chocolate Cream Ice.

The flavor selection has increased since I was a kid, and it varies from day-to-day. The ices are more expensive than your neighborhood Ice Truck, but the ices are made with real fruit and are chock full of good flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment